Sunday, March 30, 2008

Bath update

So painting the hall bath didn't happen this weekend. Surprise, surprise, we are sick again! :) Dave has had a high fever since Thursday, and the boys are still sick too. We are a pathetic group, aren't we? Just how many times have we been sick this winter? Too many to count!

And to think that Dave used to pride himself on the immune system he gained by growing up on a farm and regularly ingesting dirt. He used to tell me this all the time. In all seriousness. :) I don't think he's really taken a sick day in his seven years with this company until this winter, so that tells you something.

But seriously, it is getting old, having nothing to report but our series of aches and pains. This week - an entire 4 days spent in bed. Sigh. Anyone else tired of my whining yet? Ha! I am tired of it! I have noticed myself thinking things like, "What is going on? Why is this happening to us?" and wondering if it is a spiritual battle or just a trial the Lord is bringing us through. It sounds ridiculous, and typing it out, I am seriously inclined to delete this whole post. I should keep my woes to myself.

But I am posting this. I want to be able to look back and remember how the Lord brought us through this time. That is the purpose of this little blog, after all. To make a conscious effort to see the goodness of the Lord in our little family's life. Because in and of the flesh, my tendency is towards despair, to be honest. Even over little things, like multiple viral illnesses back to back. Ha! My husband knows this about me, and always encourages me to reflect on each day and choose to trust. He is so wise, isn't he?

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5,6


"A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." Proverbs 16:9


"But He knows the way that I take; when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold." Job


"A man's steps are of the Lord; how then can a man understand his own way?" Proverbs 20:24


I have been meditating on these verses, reminding myself of the truth of them, that the Lord really is in control, and that He cares.

I thought these paragraphs by Elizabeth Elliott were especially good,

When trouble comes, we are tempted to think we are being punished or that God has forgotten us. He never forgets. He keeps faith--that is He keeps his promises, is faithful to his word, even when it appears that we are forsaken.

Joseph suffered one disaster after another. When, because of the vicious lie of a rejected woman he was put in prison, the Lord was with him there, keeping faith (Gn 39:21). Perhaps Joseph wondered why Almighty God could not have prevented the woman's triumphing over him--or prevented his ever having been victimized by his brothers in the first place and thus being at this woman's mercy. But we are given the complete picture which Joseph did not have while he was in prison--the amazing purpose of God for his chosen people, Jacob and all his family, who because of Joseph's long-drawn-out sufferings, were saved. God keeps faith--He has a perfect blueprint, and He is building according to its specifications.

So this is where I am. So, so tired of all the illness, but reminding myself of the truth of God's Word. We have not been forsaken by the Lord - in fact, He is proving Himself so near. Just as He did with Joseph.

"But the Lord was with Joseph and showed him mercy..." Genesis 39:21


Love that. He is with us too, and showing me mercy, after mercy. And thankfully His faithfulness is not dependant on my faith...

Oh, and I know that as soon as summer comes, I will completely forget this long winter and how endless it has seemed. The days on end without leaving the house. But I want to remember. Because as frustrating and exhausting as it has been, the Lord has met my spiritual and emotional needs every day. His Word has never let me down. I have had faithful friends remind me of the truth and point me to the Lord just when I have needed it. And my husband never gets discouraged. At least I don't think he does. Our house could burn down, and he would find something positive about the situation. It's a good thing I married him, don't you think? :)

Ha! Hopefully I should have more pics of the tile job in the next few days. Yay! Something worth posting about!

6 comments:

Shawna said...

Great thoughts. Many lessons to be learned with in the confines of our walls. Thanks for sharing.

Simon looks like a mini-dave in that picture. :) So sweet, a little man.

Michelle said...

Keep hanging in there. The season is almost over. It may spill over a little into the summer, but it will definitely get better soon.

jenica said...

Actually I rather read this post than see tile pics so take heart!

I don't think you are whining because you are still expressing hope in God through these trials. It encourages me. Some of my favorite people are those who are real. Those who are authentic and admit failure, but still give glory to the Lord.

Kelly said...

I've been praying for you, Rach, sick or not! My heart goes out to you, so sorry you're all feeling icky! Hang in there and thanks for being so honest about your feelings. And, you may be feeling like you're whining but your posts always turn us back to the Lord and that is such an encouragement to me...to remember that in spite of whatever trial we are currently enduring that we can have faith and confidence in our Savior to care for us and love us to the other side! Love to you all!

bandanachick said...

Thank you for sharing your heart and what the Lord has been teaching you. That was definitely worth sharing, and a blessing for me to read. :)

Si DOES look so big in that picture, it made me cry when I saw it...I feel like we are missing out on so much. :(

Christina said...

Thank you for the reminder of His direction and His faithfulness. I needed that today.