Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Children of Light



In our women's Bible study at church we've just finished going through the book of Ephesians. I really enjoyed studying this book again. The Word of God is always fresh and new, with encouragement for today! I have always been so impressed by that. No matter where you find yourself, what struggles you might be going through, our God cares about you intimately and speaks through His Word exactly what you need. We summed up the entire book last week, and as I studied the book as a whole, I was struck by these verses.

"For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), finding out what is acceptable to the Lord." Ephesians 5:8-10


So much of the book of Ephesians has to do with the difference between who we once were without Christ and who we are now in Him. You notice that phrase "in Him" over and over in the book. When we first trusted the Lord Jesus for salvation, He didn't just save us from an eternity in hell; He "blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ," (1:3) in order for us to live this life here on earth ABUNDANTLY and in a way that brings Him glory and honor! No matter what comes our way, since our lives are now in Him, we have the resources to develop an intimate relationship with the Lord and to do His will. The first 3 chapters of the book are all about that: the riches that we as believers have in Christ!

In light of all that we have been given, and that we are no longer living in darkness, Paul encourages us in chapters 4-6 to have a "walk worthy of the calling with which you were called." (4:1) And as I type those words, I am so convicted by them! Does my life do justice to the One who gave His very life for me? Am I walking in a way that makes it undeniable that I am a child of light? Am I actively seeking the Lord's approval for the things I include in my daily routine?

Scripture is often so black and white. We were once in darkness, unregenerate souls, condemned because of our own sin. And yet the Lord Jesus raised us up, as a testimony of His grace. And now He wants me to live like it.

"See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is." Ephesians 5:15-17


I really like the photo that I put at the top of the post. Ethan calls the beams of light, "sun beans," and when they pour in our living room windows in the morning, he tries to jump on them. "I got a sun bean, Mom. Did ya see? Did ya see? I got a sun bean!"

I, too, am a sun lover. :) I can hardly resist the outdoors on sunny spring and summer days. I want to be that way about my spiritual life too though. I want to be pulled towards the things of the Lord, to not be able to resist jumping into the life the Lord has for me. I want to walk worthy of the Lord, to seek out His approval of everything I think, say, and do. As Charlie Fizer said recently, "The secret of the Christian life is knowing the will of God and doing it."

And you know, the darkness may look appealing at times, but that's only because it's dark! Hello! I can't SEE it for what it really is, you know? :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

RAchel-

You express the truth so well. Thanks for being so biblical in your views on God, and us as God-followers. What a gift to give to your sons!

Anonymous said...

RAchel-

That was me, Maryanne Helms, leaving the comment above. Blogger is acting funny and listed me as another identity. Weird.:)

Scott and Lynn said...

We missed you to begin Colossians. Paul uses the same method as in Ephesians - first he focuses on Christ, and then what Christ can do through us and in us! I just love it, because it is a reminder that we always must begin with Christ! Right now I am studying what it means to abide in Christ - so fascinating and encouraging! I love how when I am in the Word of God I feel so energized, alive, and ready to take on whatever He brings along... that is when I am living IN HIM!!!

meesh said...

Thanks for the encouragement! Does Ethan know the sun beam song? Part of it goes "...a sun beam, a sun beam, Jesus wants me for a sun beam, a sun beam, a sun beam, I'll be a sun beam for Him. " (Or maybe it should be SON beam =) He'd probably like it!

Toni said...

Such good words, Rachel, you need to write a book, I get so much out of your thoughts on others lessons, and speakers comments, and books that you're reading. GOD BLESS YOU! The Lord is really using you as a woman of GOD for HIS Kingdom. You don't know how many women you touch with your thoughts, I've shared your thoughts on Eph with my women's bible study group here. always giving you credit, I say, .... look what my sis-in-law has written today on Eph. THANK-YOU.
Love, T

Rachel said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Toni! I am thankful for this outlet...I haven't written like this in years, and I really missed it. :)