Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Beginning to write them down

Reading Ann's book has inspired me to record the little things I am thankful for, an exercise in learning the discipline of gratefulness. Because I want my perspective to be His perspective. To see the day, the moment, as He sees it.

{A Christmas ago, Dave bought me Nancy Lee DeMoss' book Choosing Gratitude: Your Journey to Joy on a whim, and it was just what I needed to read. It is very much the same message as 1000 Gifts. Both authors encourage practicing thankfulness, to make it the habit of your life. And truly, this has been life-changing for me - to look for His hand, the good, in all circumstances. It brings so much peace and contentment...and joy!}

I read through my blog a few weeks ago and was inspired again to keep recording our little lives and the things the Lord has been teaching me. I forget so quickly...and this journaling that I've done so far is important. So that I can look back and really see...

So today I'm thankful for...

  1. Quiet times {that aren't really quiet} when my oldest wants to join me. He is reading through John. Precious!
  2. Sharing with each other what the Lord showed us in our reading.




  3. Asking the Lord to help us submit to the Holy Spirit today (Galations 5), and talking about what that means.
  4. Winter whites, shooting up on the table. Planted only a week and a half ago! Every day we watch them grow a little and we are amazed!




  5. Messages from boys.




  6. A hard day, opportunity to work on someone's heart.
  7. The cheerful obedience that follows.
  8. Basil growing up tall. I can't wait to have a garden!




  9. The first blizzard I can remember.
  10. Passion tea from Starbucks, and sweet friends that drop it by and stay awhile.
  11. Dave home early. Never happens!
  12. The offer of a snow blower from a neighbor.
  13. Snow days, now 5 this year already.
  14. Choosing fun over chores...snow icecream!




  15. A daughter to raid her daddy's candy drawer.




  16. Beautiful children.
  17. Brothers who love each other.




  18. Netflix.
  19. A husband who helps.
  20. And children who do too.




"The Lord looks from heaven;
He sees all the sons of men...
He fashions their hearts individually;
He considers all their works.
Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him,
on those who hope in His mercy...
our soul waits for the Lord;
He is our help and our shield.
For our heart shall rejoice in Him,
Because we have trusted in His holy name.
"
Psalm 33:13-21

Anything less than gratitude and trust is practical atheism. Are stress and worry evidences of a soul too lazy, too undisciplined, to keep gaze fixed on God? ...Isn't joy worth the effort of trust? - Ann Voskamp


Joining...


4 comments:

HopiQ said...

It is so encouraging to share this journey together and how the Lord is showing us the joy in gratitude. Beautiful post.

Kelly said...

Thanks for sharing, Rachel. So encouraged by your desire for a heart of thankfulness. It is a challenge to my own heart as I read your post! Love you!

jenica said...

Love this post! Beautiful in so many ways.

My book (1000 gifts) will be here tomorrow - can't wait to read it!

How wonderful it is that in knowing Him we can be thankful for the ugly things and the hard things. That's something the world doesn't know.

I just may go plant some winter whites...

Jeni said...

Those are two books on my to read list. A wonderful post. And snow ice cream is a favorite around here too!