Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Lord is Peace


"I have loved you," says the LORD. "Yet you say, 'In what way have you loved us?'..." Malachi 1:2

"The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God'...the LORD looks down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there are any who understand, who seek God." Psalm 14:1,2

Meditating on these verses today - my heart is like the Israelites' sometimes, questioning the love of the Lord in my life. Oh, I wouldn't say it out loud, or even consciously think it...but my attitude betrays me sometimes. Just ask Dave. :) Frustration builds, and I find myself fuming over circumstances... and my husband asks, "who are you mad at anyway? God????"

Always makes me think.

Because that is what I'm really saying, when I let my mind wander down any path it chooses, dwelling on circumstances instead of trusting in the Controller of them. I'm saying in my haughty Israelite tone, "In what way have you loved me, God? Have you looked around recently????" Even though I'd never intend to go there... it is convicting, this Bible I read.

Tonight in Bible study we talked about the name of God Jehovah-Shalom, which means the Lord is Peace. God revealed Himself to Gideon as Jehovah-Shalom in the book of Judges, when the circumstances were dark...the nation of Israel was being oppressed by the Midianites because they had fallen into sin. The situation was desperate. But the Lord showed Himself to Gideon, and told him not to fear. He could have peace because the Lord was with him and already knew the outcome.

This excerpt from our book Lord, I Want to Know You by Kay Arthur really made me think:

"He gives us a peace that does not alter, regardless of circumstances, because the peace He gives us is resident in the One who promised, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU,' so that we confidently say, 'THE LORD IS MY HELPER, I WILL NOT BE AFRAID. WHAT SHALL MAN DO TO ME?'" Hebrews 13:5-6


He is with me - as Philippians 4:4 says, the Lord is near. And He gives a peace that does not alter.

"You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You." Isaiah 26:3


I was challenged tonight to run to Jehovah-Shalom with everything - every thought that threatens to steal the peace that He longs for me to have. Lord, let me not be like the fool, who ignores Your existence. Help me run to You first - and pour it all out to You.

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your forbearing spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:4-7

3 comments:

Reagan said...

Your posts are always so PRETTY. Last night was very convicting in talking and hearing people share and reading the study. I have known inner peace before and it really is something to be desired through God. Just knowing that God is in control and that if we obey him he gives us peace. Lately I've just been caught up in day to day things even though I have seen recently how God is working. Crazy right?

jenica said...

Thank you for being so candid. This encouraged me today.

HopiQ said...

The passages from Philippians really spoke to me about how the Lord's personal, intimate presence with me provides that perfect peace. His name of Jehovah Shalom ties so closely with Immanuel: God with us. I'm so glad to get to be a part of the group!!!