Friday, July 31, 2009

Weekly blessings

We've had way too much fun this week, and I should be catching up on all the laundry and cleaning I've neglected instead of sitting here editing photos. I probably have 8 loads waiting for me, and you don't even want to get near the boys' bathroom right now! But my washer decided to leak during the first load I attempted today, and to keep the basement from flooding, I had to shut off the water to the whole house. So there's not much I can do until Dave gets home...guess I'll enjoy the excuse while I can. :) (I guess I could vacuum, but I'm going to ignore that thought!)




It has been sooo nice to have Dave home for the good part of this week. We've accomplished everything we'd hoped to, and more. Of course Great Wolf Lodge was a blast, but I think my favorite part was just the time factor. Getting to spend time talking with the boys, catching glimpses into their hearts, without the rush of so many activities and commitments. It is hitting me very hard that Ethan will start kindergarten in 3 weeks (can it be?). I am so excited for him, and so thankful for the sweet young man he is becoming...but it is a bit hard to watch too. It's a new phase of life for us - and I'm sure it will bring it's own joys and challenges - but I will never get back the preschool years with Ethan. So I just want to soak up these last days of summer with him and make the most of our time together.

Yes, I think I will probably cry when I drop him off the first day! It makes me emotional just thinking about it! :)




Clare has been enjoying the extra cuddle time too - she has such a quick, charming smile. I hope her friendly demeanor continues!




What can I say about our middle child? Because he is that, in every sense of the word. Such a funny little kid! Dramatic as all get out! With a bit of a tendancy toward doing things his own way instead of obeying. We are working on it! And a week of 2 on 1 parenting has been helpful, I think. A little back-up never hurts! :) But oh, I love him to death...and I am looking forward to more time with him this fall when E is in school.



Today when I was grocery shopping with the 3 of them (see, I did get something accomplished today!), an older gentleman was watching our little troop, and he smiled and said, "You have been very blessed!" And I think so too!

What a gift to be a mother - to help shape little hearts and listen to their thoughts. To have constant companions throughout the day (even if those said companions inform you that they just cracked an egg on the kitchen floor...what in the world???? I better end this, quick!). My life is pretty crazy and hectic with these 3, but goodness, it is precious too!

7 comments:

~ Rory ~ said...

Hi Rachel! Thanks for sharing your blessings with us. The pictures are adorable. Your middle one sounds exactly like our middle one...dramatic and a tendancy to do things his own way instead of obeying...but, he's such a cutie and I love him more than I can say! I've been meaning to ask you what kind of camera you have. Your pictures are so great!

Rachel said...

Hey Rory - I have a Nikon d40x. Thanks for the compliment - I would like to have a better understanding of photography, but I never seem to make the time to work on it. Someday! ;)

bandanachick said...

SOO glad you had a week to enjoy just your family. Those family times are so precious, and we can never seem to get enough of them can we?
Love you!

Eryn said...

the time goes by so quickly when the family is all together,doesnt it? our little vacation was over so quickly, but we sooo enjoyed spending the quality time TOGETHER with our children.
where is ethan going to school? my two start in 15 days! i am sad and excited at the same time.

Rachel said...

Eryn, Ethan is going to Cair Paravel, a Christian school in town. Now, did I hear that you were homeschooling, or has that changed?

Eryn said...

i homeschooled patrick for first grade because we really couldnt decide what to do at the time. but i knew i did NOT want to homeschool kindergarten. so they are both going to public, right up the street. its a good school and we are excited about being more involved in the community and building relationships with those around us through our children.

Reagan said...

cracked an egg on the floor? that's awesome.