Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Everything belongs to the Lord


Since my posts on Walgreens and CVS, and all the interest they have generated, I have found myself thinking very seriously about my motivation for shopping and finding deals. I love this new hobby, as anyone who knows me could tell you, I'm sure. But I struggle too, with this increasing desire to live in dependance on the Lord for our daily provisions, instead of trusting myself and my own ability to provide for my family's needs this way. I've been praying about posting about this topic this week, and I wanted to share Monday's Choice Gleanings with you because it really pricked my heart.

"God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work." 2 Corinthians 9:8
"All grace," "all-sufficiency," "all things," "abound." Unlocked by prayer, here is a treasury that is never empty. It is a fountain, "full, flowing, ever flowing, and overflowing." Our great need can never diminish this inexhaustible treasure. Myriads of saints on the earth can draw from this eternal source of grace, and there will always be a sufficient supply when they return for more. Ah beloved, there is grace for sunshine and storm-for the old believer and the young-in health and sickness, in life and death. There is sufficient grace to say, through tears, "Thy will be done." --M. Haack


I just want to encourage you, if you're starting to coupon and shop for deals, pray for the Lord's help before you go out. He is a gracious and generous God who delights in providing for His people. Give Him the opportunity to provide for you! Sometimes when we start figuring everything out ourselves, it causes us to stop looking to the Lord to meet our needs...and I would not want to contribute to that in your life.

"Both riches and honor come from You, and You reign over all. In Your hand is power and might; in Your hand it is to make great and to give strength to all." 1 Chronicles 29:12


No matter how much or how little financial wealth the Lord has put you in charge of right now, He is really the only One who determines how much is in your bank account. This is so good to remember, don't you think? Yes, we are responsible to work hard at our jobs and be good stewards of the money we do have, but ultimately, the ability to do those things is just a gift from God.

"Though your riches increase, do not set your heart on them." Psalm 62:10


I recently read Linda Dillow's book Calm My Anixous Heart, and in the book she talks about how greed is the enemy of contentment. She says, "You can quickly identify where your heart is if you will survey the things you own and then answer this question: Suppose this treasure were lost, destroyed, or stolen tomorrow. Would I miss it to the point that it would harm my trust in God, my contentment, or my relationships? If the answer is yes, then your treasure is on earth."

"Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the Lord?' or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God." Proverbs 30:8-9


"Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life." 1 Timothy 6:17-19


Okay, so I didn't intend to go on and on about this, but as you can tell, it's really been on my heart. I so desire to live in dependance on the Lord, as I know many of you do too. Now, we don't consider ourselves rich, necessarily, but in comparison to the rest of the world, we have an overabundance, don't we? So I've just been praying for this mindset--that everything is the Lord's and that He is just allowing me to use it right now. I want my treasure to be in heaven, not here on this earth. It sure puts a different spin on bargain shopping! Now I'm looking for the deals that HE wants to provide for my family and others.

2 comments:

HopiQ said...

Amen, Rachel!

I read a post a month or so ago about being frugal...it suggested to start with contentment! It sounds so simple that I think I forget all about rejoicing and thanking God for what we DO have. Psalm 107 is helping me remember that I need to always have a heart overflowing in thanksgiving to our Lord.

So I am asking the Lord for help in seeing what I have and using it to the best advantage. Right now I'm focusing on SPACE. It's easy for me to wish our home was larger, but I am looking for ways to be more organized and utilize the space we have.

Thank you for sharing your heart.

Kelly said...

All the tips to save money have been wonderful, Rachel, but it is also good to be reminded that it all belongs to the Lord and ultimately it is HE who provides and sustains us. Thanks for that reminder!