Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Thoughts after the weekend


My parents were up this weekend, along with my expecting sister Ruth and her husband Nate. It was such a fun weekend. Mom, Ruth, Simon and I went to a baby shower in honor of baby Austin (due in 6 weeks!), and he received lots of airplane clothes and blankets! His daddy is a pilot in the Air Force, so they've decorated the nursery with an airplane theme. So cute!

Ethan just LOVES his Uncle Nate, and he had so much fun doing puzzles with him, playing ball, and playing chase. Oh, and of course, showing off a few of his "gymnastics" moves. If they can even call 2 year old movements gymnastics... :)

I read this verse today, and have been meditating on it:

For this is the will of God, your sanctification... that each of you should know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor." I Thessalonians 4:3,4


I wrote down, "Does what I am doing right now set me apart for the Lord's work and bring Him honor and glory?"

I've been trying to think about it all day, as I go about my daily tasks. Am I choosing His way or am I choosing mine? This is so hard for me! The here and now really clouds my view of HIS WORK, and so often I find myself going through the day without ever really pausing to see what He's doing (and what He's doing in me).

As a SAHM (Stay-at-home Mom!), most of my daily tasks are very mundane, thoughtless things, like wiping noses and changing diapers, cleaning bathrooms, and changing out laundry loads. So how, Lord, can possess my life in a way that sets me apart for Your work and brings You glory?

I'm not sure of all the answers yet, but today the Lord has been showing me how He wants to take control of my thoughts. Instead of just getting through the day, "surviving" it, He would have me meditate and think on Him while I work and teach my children. And then to speak of Him aloud, wherever I might be. Usually, that's at home with the kids, so that's where I have to start. Are my kids getting the picture that my life belongs to God, and am I lifting Him up in their eyes? Causing them to see what a great God He is?

Yes, Lord, help me to learn how to do that.

6 comments:

Eryn said...

i didnt know they picked out a name! cant wait to see little austin. what a wonderful picture. is that your backyard? where ever it is, it is beautiful. i love fall, it is my favorite time of year (next to christmas and spring :)
go check my blog, i think you will find it.....interesting!

jenica said...

Ruth is looking good! Only 6 weeks!

I enjoyed your thoughts on putting the spiritual into the mundane. I've heard the expression of "blessing something". Like if you're cleaning the bathroom to think of it as "blessing" your bathroom. (This is sounding weird.) Umm, I guess the mindset of blessing that task so that it can bless other's. Clean laundry is a blessing to your husband and kids. Doing the mundane well and happily is blessing your children by your example. A neat house is a blessing to guests.

It is hard to think of the big picture, and of the little things as important. "Well done good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord." Matt. 15:21

Caleb and Anna said...

What a great family picture! I am glad our kids will have an Uncle Nate too! =) -Anna

Anonymous said...

Oh Rachel...I needed these words this morning! I love reading your blog! Motherhood is such a journey, one that I never thought could be so difficult and rewarding all at once. I often remember Abagail Adams and what I learned from her diaries. Her job was SO important, she was raising a future president. How important it was that she was quoting scripture and singing God's praises as she was doing her daily chores.
"These Commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Talk about them when you sit at home (doing laundry) and when you walk on the road (pushing your stroller) when you lie down (for a afternoon nap) and when you wake up (at 2:00 in the morning with a sick baby)
Deut. 6:7

I am reminded of this verse when I am with my boys all day, and I wonder, what could I possibly be doing today that impacts their little lives for the Kingdom of Heaven. Sometimes I think I have got to be formally teaching them some scripture or take them to VBS or Sunday School, and then I remember that just talking all day about our God and what He has blessed us with, provided for us,and just how much He loves us,is exactly what I am commanded to do.

Hope you have a blessed day... I can't believe Ruth is about to be a mom! I feel so old!

Rachel said...

Good to hear from you, Danielle! I like your thoughts too.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your encouraging thoughts! God is working out our sanctification each and every day. I guess it really makes each task a spiritual work. I have been re-reading No Ordinary Home by Carol Brazo, and she has a wonderful story of how the Lord revealed to her the place He had for her in her own home. She was struggling with the mundane tasks of motherhood and homemaking after leaving a career that stimulated her mind and gave her great satisfaction. The Lord gave her the story of Jacob's ladder, showing her that He was there in her home, giving her role honor and importance, and she hadn't realized it.

"Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, 'Surely the Lord is in this place, and I did not know it.'"